Prepping has been something I’ve looked into for a few years now and tried to keep a proper mindset to plan for life’s chaos. With that comes stocking up on a couple weeks of food at any one time, keeping extra water on hand and one important item: an Every-Day Carry (EDC) bag.
I like being prepared for day to day situations and issues. With this, I wanted a few things:
- Easy/comfortable bag that’s light enough to walk with or use on my motorcycle
- Big enough to carry a few tools and tech devices for home/work/travel
- Be able to literally walk out the door at anytime for even an overnight and be ready
First, the bag:
- Single shoulder tractical bag: http://amzn.to/2tJoRPj
This bag is small enough to be easily carried but can still pack a bunch of gear and even some “Get home” essentials (water filter, emergency radio, etc). I went with Grey to keep it blending in a little better but may even get a black one to allow better blending in a group; Think grey-man concept. This is comfortable on my motorcycle even for a couple hours due to the extra cross strap that keeps it stable as well.
The fun stuff: The gadgets and gear
Now, back to the goals: Enough to leave or be anywhere for a short time and be set. Here’s where I carry in it currently:
- Battery backup for phone: http://amzn.to/2uHBjwe
- Extra phone cable
- Antacids (heartburn FTW)
- Small EDC pouch inside bag: http://amzn.to/2tJERRj
- (2) lighters
- Small thing of tissues
- Hand sanitizer
- Bluetooth ear buds: http://amzn.to/2tmYOet
- Keyring with:
- USB drives
- NFC personal information tag
- Bottle opener
- Prying tool
- Couple energy bars
- Emergency radio
- (2) day supply of meds
- Face mask (dust allergy)
This all fits comfortably in my bag with room to spare to get drinks/snacks or whatever for errands as needed. I can walk out the door and have everything I need with just a water bottle added to be out for a day or more if need be.
Adding to this, the tools and everything in there allow me to be ready for day to day issues I run into (forgetting meds, family/friend issue, phone’s dying, etc). It’s a bit comforting if nothing else knowing I’m set as well without a ton of effort and a really simple bag as well. Updates later will probably include a small Ham radio possibly but got everything I need for out and about.