Lately I’ve been engrossed in a project to add some monitoring to my home. This includes temperature and humidity readings, along with monitoring for windows and doors eventually. This will be built almost entirely using Arduinos wherever possible.
To have a remotely viewable home dashboard to monitoring the house
Use Arduinos and cheap parts from Amazon to build this and code myself
At this point, I’ve built some of the systems but greatly need to expand upon this. More updates to (hopefully) come!
Got around to setting up an HID kit I picked up recently from a friend on my new Lancer. These are Kensun premium HIDs from Amazon in 8K color (also called “Iceburg Blue”). These are phenomenal and help a lot for nighttime driving without being a huge impact to others either in front of me or coming towards me. Here’s a couple shots, noting the high beams are stock color still and comparing to my girlfriend’s Jeep lights!
And funny enough, the longest I’ve ever had a website running without interruptions! Hope all is well, and working through as always. Stay tuned peeps!
So this has to be one of the coolest things I’ve run into: I got a small Bluetooth dongle for my car’s OBDII port which connects to my Android tablet (TF300t, love it!). This, combined with Torque Pro from the Android store, allows me to monitor my car’s vitals in real time. In actuality it’s about a half second difference, but that’s about right for normal gauges too. It took about 15 minutes total to get everything set up, the longest things being the car profile and the gear ratios to calculate for the Racing Meter plugin for the application (recommend using a friend, be safe driving!). Couple cool features:
- Save up to 3 car profiles; My own and my buddy’s WRX for racing
- Can use multiple custom dashboards with multiple readouts on each
- Check engine codes and MIL status
- Add plugins to add more features (Definitely recommend RacingMeter, $5/USD)
It is a riot to use, almost good enough to replace your gauge cluster entirely. Couple screenshots, first being in racing meter (Before I had gears dialed in):
Default gauge set with a couple small ones added:
Had to also switch everything in RacingMeter over to MPH, couldn’t find the setting in the normal dashboard. Wish my car could do 0-60 in 4.58 seconds 😛
Anyways, highly recommend for any car guy or any geek with an Android phone or tablet. Happy modding!
Had the idea in my head for a while now about doing a fileserver build to put all my media in one place. This includes years of movies, music and TV shows along with about 100GB of music rips. The goals of this were pretty simple:
- Have some form of redundancy, most likely in a RAID 1 or RAID 5 format
- Have enough horsepower to stream movies/videos on the fly, including conversions
- Have enough storage for all my current collection (~1.5TB) and future
At this point, I had some extra components lying around and got a sweet deal on an ASUS 990X motherboard and a set of 6 hard drives. Let’s get to the specs:
- ASUS 990X Sabertooth motherboard
- Corsaid 500W PSU
- Mushkin 240GB SSD
- (6) 750GB WD Black hard drives
- AMD 3.5GHz 8-Core CPU
- Hyper 212 Evo CPU cooler
- AMD 7770 GPU card with 2GB GDDR5 RAM
- Rosewill Stealth tower
- (2) Inline SATA power cords
- (6) 90 Degree SATA cables
The biggest issue in this build was finding either a card or motherboard that could support 6+ hard drives in RAID. This motherboard supports 6 total in RAID0/1/5 and also has two additional slots. The case has 8 3.5″ hard drive slots as well along with two 120MM fans up front to keep things cool. The system runs like a champ with very little noise.
The hardware is all set up and running without issue with RAID5 for a total storage of 3.4TB for the drives and booting from the SSD. It runs cool even when streaming full HD movies over my home network in multiple file formats.
Now, software. I had a little bit of decision making to do here. The goal at its truest form is to set up an easy to use fileserver and user accounts for this. I’ve used Samba for some basic servers but user accounts quickly become a pain to maintain and set up. I went to Server 2008 R2 for this instead. The fun came when I had to get video and ethernet drives for the motherboard on this, along with the USB3 adaptors. It took some leg work but worked out well.
For streaming: I use Plex server, simple to use and maintain and accessible from anywhere. I stepped up and for the $5/month PlexPass account to stream from my phone and iPod touch to my Chromecasts at home as well and everything works beautifully, even at full HD over Wifi or over the internet. All in all: I’d say this worked out pretty well!
Here’s some links for additional information:
So I’ve been working with this project off and on, mainly off due to time constraints with a new work shift/promotion. I’ve split the logs and dashboard readouts to allow for easier pulling of individual data. What this allowed me to do was to couple this with WordPress using iFrame to load the individual pieces. I then set up multiple pages for each PHP document to allow the refreshes to work normally. I’ve build and gotten a working version of a single ping test, so that’s off the checklist. My next goal is to build a queue of sorts to pull information from for a polling cycle depending on type of test, then run the tests I want. I’m starting with ICMP, but hope to go for basic SNMP once this works out. Stay tuned as always!